Summer 2023 MiLO - Blog 12

 Share Where God Opens the Door

Ever wondered what happened to something you swore was right there where you left it and then you go to find it and it’s not there! Well, I have started this blog several times and through the frustration of getting used to a keyboard on a computer, verses a thumb technique of typing the blogs on my phone, I seemed to have lost what I have typed, and I am starting over again. My fingers have forgotten to reach for the correct letters and my mind has forgotten where those letters were located and trying to type one sentence has been a burden and time-consuming process.
 
I will say that the jet lag has hit me harder this time than in years past. Thirty-five hours of traveling and over 22 hours in planes did me in. I am glad to be back home in my Baby Doll’s arms and on Texas soil, but to not frustrate myself further, I have asked Heidi, our community director for HiS Print, to share an experience she had on one of her last days in Croatia and was asked to come and share with a women’s group at the Baptist Church in Sisak.  
From Heidi:
I had the opportunity on Saturday to join a ladies' small group Bible study at the local church in Sisak. I was invited by Emily, a local missionary who initially came to Croatia with HiS Print back in 2017. Shortly before Emily brought me to the group she asked if I would speak to the ladies about how to share a testimony with an unbeliever.  Traditionally, the local churches here have struggled with growth and with accepting new people into their church without casting judgement. I immediately knew what I would share, but wondered how it might be received.  
Heidi sharing with the ladies on how to share the gospel through your testimony.

The group consisted of six ladies between 60 and 92. Emily facilitated the conversation as the ladies shared their struggles with evangelism and with sharing their testimonies. I could sense a deep frustration in the voices as they shared their struggles with sharing their love for Christ with their family or friends. After this, Emily asked me to share my experience with sharing my testimony. I took a deep breath, asked the Lord if he still wanted me to say what was on my heart, and then I continued with the talk I had planned. 
 
My thoughts were circling around two thoughts. I love our HiS Print motto of "love them where they are and love them until they ask why". Showing unconditional love is a form of sharing your testimony. I recently read a book called B.L.E.S.S. with my church, and I appreciate how this book meshes with our motto so well, while breaking down that love into five tangible steps.  
 
B: Be in prayer 
L: Listen 
E: Eat 
S: Serve 
S: Share 

The first step I shared was to be in prayer. We need to pray not only for the direction of who we should minister to, but also for those hearts to be softened. Next, we need to listen to those who are around us. Listen to their story, their struggles, and their worries. Next, eat meals or get coffee with that individual. Then serve them. Maybe they need some help around their house or yard. Maybe they need a meal cooked for them. Maybe they need a ride to the airport. Lastly, share your story with them about how God has influenced your life. I stressed that these steps might take many months or even years to work through these. Relationships and trust take time. People need to feel safe with you and know that you care about them before they will be open and receptive to hearing about what Christ has done in your life. 
 
I was amazed to see the women being very receptive to these five steps. They even took notes and copied the notes to the whiteboard in their church for the rest of the congregation to see it the next day in church. My hope and prayer are that these women take my words to heart and are patient to build relationships and love on the people in their community.  

Notes written on the whiteboard for all of them to see.

“Love them where they are and till they ask why” is a relationship process that allows us to listen to understand and not to speak to be understood. It gives the person you’re loving an opportunity to share their heart and allows you the chance to listen to what has influenced them and made them who they are today.

Go out and make it a wonderful God filled day, allowing God to use you to build relationships that allow you to love them where they are! 

HE DID IT! 
David 

Comments